"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."- U.S. Army General George S. Patton & 1912 Olympian

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Marlena's First Day: Thursday December 10th


West Point Middle School (grades 5-8th)

So... the elementary & middle schools are in a big cul-de-sac. With the Gym (pictured below) sitting between the two.

I was given strict instructions to not take any pictures & to be on the "dl" with my camera. I asked if I was embarrassing & she said no. Hum... I'm not convinced. Regardless, I did respect it & took no pictures. I will have my mental ones of driving by the youth center (I was not stalking, but driving to the youth center parking lot to meet Marlena to pick her up after school) & I passed her & a group of 5 girls all walking together . She was talking & laughing with a girl to her left. Jordon was her name. Marlena made friends with 3 great girls on her first day. She loves her schedule & her favorite teacher is her Science teacher.

Marlena is a strong, confident & resilient military kid. She is so excited to be here at West Point & the kids at school were terrific at welcoming her. The best part about military kids is that they have all been the "new kid" more than once & know what it is like. Regardless, I think I was more nervous her first day then she was. We all know that girls can be so mean & I (just like any mom) want her to be happy!!!

1 comments:

John, Heather, Emma, Lily & Jana said...

Ma ma ma my Marlena!!! Strong confident...that's how I'd describe any McGrath!! Hugs to Marlena!